The Bangladesh CNG Filling Station and Owners Association has suspended its previously announced programme to shut all CNG filling stations until September 27, citing the ongoing gas crisis and public hardship.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the association said the decision had been taken in the national interest and to extend cooperation to the government amid the worsening gas supply situation.
The association has long been demanding measures to address what it describes as persistent financial and operational problems in the CNG sector. It said it had held three press conferences—in June and July—to press the government to implement its demands.
Among its key demands are an increase in the CNG sales commission, an automatic mechanism to adjust the commission or margin in line with fuel prices, an end to the practice of collecting additional security deposits from existing customers following gas price increases, and rationalisation of fees related to land, access roads, licences and renewals charged by government agencies.
The association said the current sales commission of Tk 8 per cubic metre should be raised to at least Tk 13.96. It also called for a reassessment of the price of feed gas supplied to the CNG sector.
According to the association, operating costs have risen substantially because of successive electricity price increases since September 2015, inflation, higher minimum wages, increased prices of machinery and spare parts due to exchange-rate fluctuations, higher lease fees, bank guarantee commissions and interest, and increased licence and renewal fees.
It said its demands had remained unresolved for more than a decade, despite recommendations made by expert committees formed by the Energy Division in 2013 and 2017.
The association had earlier announced that all CNG filling stations across the country would remain closed symbolically from 6am to midnight on July 30 and indefinitely from August 23.
The July 30 programme was later withdrawn following a fire at part of the floating LNG terminal operated by Excelerate Energy in Maheshkhali, Cox’s Bazar, which further disrupted the country’s gas supply. The indefinite shutdown planned from August 23, however, remained in place.
The association said it had been compelled to announce the tougher programme because prolonged losses had made it increasingly difficult to operate the businesses.
Given the current nationwide gas shortage and its potential impact on the public, the association has now suspended the August 23 indefinite shutdown and all other previously announced programmes until September 27.
It expressed hope that the government would use the intervening period to consider and implement its “reasonable” demands and take effective steps to restore normal gas supplies across the country.
The association also urged the relevant government authorities to take immediate measures in the public interest.
